Following a dozen questions after yesterday's update, please see the following as it may or may not impact your travel plans in the coming months.
This is a researched but 'unofficial' tip sheet on extra steps needed to catch a match (matches) in UK right now:
UK ENTRY & TESTING WHILE THERE:
Original vaccine card to fly: Brian Wolff, CIA Vice Secretary, notes that an ORIGINAL COVID card or a govt. approved vaccine app (some states have; others do not) is required. He ran into this hurdle trying to fly over and was carrying a photo copy of his card because he didn't want to lose the actual card. THE ACTUAL CARD is required.
UK Entry & Testing adjustments starting October 4: For vaccinated travelers, they are adjusting some requirements.
1) Complete a passenger locator form with 48 hours before arrival
2) Book and pay for a post-arrival Coronavirus test to be taken on or before day 2 of the trip. (Note arrival dya is considered day 0 ).
3) Test before flying to UK is no longer required.
4) In UK do the test (see # 2) test by day 2 will now be the easer Antigen or Lateral Flow test with results within 20 minutes. This must be done either at a site or get home kit and drop at a testing site.
5) Day 8 test is no longer required for vaccinated travelers.
4) HOWEVER, keep in mind you will still need to do a test (likely pre-booked/paid) in UK within 3 days of boarding plane to fly home per US govt requirement.
• Not vaccinated: Lots of testing before flight, days 2 and 8 day quarantine requirements at your cost and again US govt requires that return trip test now within 1 day of return.
Suggested UK web site: Looking for more info and how to pre-book (required) testing in the UK, the UK govt has a website that all airlines link here.
Heading to Europe during the trip: Add even more testing with each move. Right now every country seems to have varying rules and then you may trigger a fresh start of UK testing too.
ATTENDING MATCH AT STAMFORD BRIDGE RULES:
• Chelsea are checking for vaccine status or a recent negative test at the entry gate.. so depending on spacing of your tests and vaccination status, you may then need to add another one if unvaccinated also.
• Chelsea are asking fans to be in seats 30 minutes prior to kick off as the lines can be long doing the entry checks. Otherwise you risk missing a good chunk of a 90 minute match.
This was posted by Chelsea FC on bag & COVID requirements on September 9th.
The rules vary widely from club to club so no set pattern for away matches in the UK.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE AWAY TICKETING UPDATE:
The most recent word from Chelsea FC is that it is doubtful that there will be any 'away' "supporter group" tickets for Champions League group stage matches.
This could change at any moment but this is why we are unable to offer ticketing for the Champions League away legs presently. The latest trends and lock downs in the EU are not favorable yet some countries are throwing doors open. So, who knows? Chelsea are 'very sensitive' to the political ramifications and are attempting to cooperate with authorities in order to limit any additional home supporter restrictions.
Side note: Chelsea are very conservative on this stuff. Example: For the Sep 19 Tottenham away match, we only learned 'last week' that they would be offering away ticketing (just 30 days out). So if things change it is likely to be on short notice.
That's the "travel" update, as we know it, in response to numerous inquiries since yesterday's email.
We provide this info for your knowledge and consideration as Chelsea FC does NOT give refunds after tickets have been ordered & paid for due to COVID travel issues. A trip can be done but it takes planning.